Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -RiskRadar
Charles H. Sloan-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 21:50:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Charles H. Sloanagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Radical British preacher Anjem Choudary sentenced to life in prison for directing a terrorist group
- The 25 Most Popular Amazon Items E! Readers Bought This Month: Viral Beauty Products & More
- Construction company in Idaho airport hangar collapse ignored safety standards, OSHA says
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Georgia seaport closes gap with Baltimore, the top US auto port
- Taylor Swift says she is ‘in shock’ after 2 children died in an attack on a UK dance class
- Walmart Fashion Finds That Look Expensive, Starting at Only $8
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Taylor Swift “Completely in Shock” After Stabbing Attack at Themed Event in England
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Severe thunderstorms to hit Midwest with damaging winds, golf ball-size hail on Tuesday
- Lilly King barely misses podium in 100 breaststroke, but she's not done at these Olympics
- A Pretty Woman Reunion, Ben Affleck's Cold Feet and a Big Payday: Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Massachusetts governor says there’s nothing she can do to prevent 2 hospitals from closing
- Detroit woman who pleaded guilty in death of son found in freezer sentenced to 35 to 60 years
- 2024 Olympics: Swimmer Ryan Murphy's Pregnant Wife Bridget Surprises Him by Revealing Sex of Baby at Race
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
2024 Olympics: Jade Carey Makes Epic Return to Vault After Fall at Gymnastics Qualifiers
Dan + Shay’s Shay Mooney and Wife Hannah Billingsley Expecting Baby No. 4
Olympics 2024: Brazilian Gymnast Flavia Saraiva Competes With Black Eye After Scary Fall
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Olympics 2024: Men's Triathlon Postponed Due to Unsafe Levels of Fecal Matter in Seine River
Pregnant Francesca Farago and Jesse Sullivan Reveal Sex of Twin Babies
The best way to watch the Paris Olympics? Hint: It isn't live.